Friday, April 10, 2009

My Emotional Health

My own personal definition of emotional health is being able to react appropriately to situations.  Our main assumption of an emotionally unhealthy person is someone who is constantly depressed or angry, which are fine emotions and can't be escaped.  Someone who experiences these emotions at the wrong times is emotionally unhealthy, someone who is constantly depressed without a good reason is emotionally unhealthy.  Someone who expresses an inappropriate degree of an emotion is also unhealthy.  Extreme anger or extreme sadness in situations that aren't extreme are unhealthy reactions.  Likewise people who bottle up emotions and don't express them are also unhealthy.  These people aren't reacting at all, non-reaction can be an inappropriate reaction to a situation, emotions are meant to be felt and not feeling them or expressing them is unhealthy.
I'm emotionally healthy when I'm doing things I like which usually make me calm or happy, this would imply that I'm enjoying myself and something good is happening to trigger the happy response.  Note that I'm also healthy when I'm feeling sad or angry in a sad or angry situation, respectively, but I don't feel healthy because I'm in a negative mood.  These activities include hanging out with friends, playing video games, practicing martial arts, virtually anything that can put me in a good mood.  Things that put me in a good mood are usually social, creative and mentally or physically stimulating activities, as science would likely point to, being that the emotion happiness connects to activities that improve survival and encourage the animal to repeat these (humans included).
I don't feel emotionally unhealthy because if I'm depressed or angry its usually because I should feel depressed or angry in that situation.  Feeling bad isn't unhealthy, its just a reaction to a situation, therefore no activity can make someone emotionally unhealthy by my definition, the person must have a pre-existing condition or manifest their own emotional problems to react inappropriately to a situation.  For me I only feel especially emotionally healthy or neutrally healthy, just as someone may feel especially physically healthy when they're at the gym and not feel anything when they're going about their business.        

1 comment:

Juggleandhope said...

Well written and thoughtful.