Thursday, October 9, 2008

Is meaning Subjective?

                                                  chickenpopquiz.jpg

When I asked people what in their lives were meaningful, most people said that almost everything in their lives were meaningful.  My sources Granit, and Joe both said that everything in life is meaningful; this leads me to extend their point that you can potentially learn from any situation or make anything a meaningful experience.

On the other hand my brother Guido said that “anything you don’t learn from or don’t enjoy [is meaningless]” this adds the factor of enjoyment into the equation, he believes that something you enjoy gives your life meaning, he implies that meaning doesn’t always always come from self-improvement, he states that on some scale the person has to enjoy themselves to have meaning in their lives.  He also brings up the point that some things are meaningless, this differs from the more positive outlook of the majority of the people I’ve interviewed.

            When asked to rate their meaning on a scale of 1 to 10 the majority of the people I interviewed said that they were fairly meaningful, most saying that were between 7 and 9.  These people such as Granit and Joe say that everything is meaningful to an extent and that human life is especially important and meaningful based on their own criteria.

                                           The-Meaning-Of-Life--James-Frey.jpg

            When I interviewed my brother who again took the side of the minority said there’s a difference between meaning on a global scale and personal scale.  He said that on a personal scale he was between 8 and 9  because he was significant to those around him, but he said that on a world scale his meaning was 1 “because I don’t have that much of an impact on the world”

                                                                   11-ml-02-earth-med.jpg

My sister Sandy disagreed with this saying that every small action can have big effects and she cited the “butterfly Effect”.  She demonstrates that everything has meaning because everything can have an effect on the world, this is reminiscent of the argument made before by Granit and Joe that everything is meaningful.   

1 comment:

J0hn Galt said...

okay marco this is my feedback. Besides doing a spellcheck (I think I saw a few errors) I think that overall this is a good post, if a little on the short side.
Maybe you should include more sources with more variety in between to really flesh it out.